TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BANANA BUNDTS
Updated: Dec 2, 2021
The perfect recipe for those who let their bananas get a little too dark before using. This super moist chocolate cake is free of gluten, dairy, refined sugar, and eggs, but not free of flavor. Plus it has oats, nuts, bananas, and maple syrup so that makes it breakfast, right?? Ganache drip and sprinkles optional but encouraged!
Yield: 12 mini bundts or 1 standard sized bundt (8-9")
- 3 medium over-ripe bananas (mostly brown/black and very soft)
- 1/2 CUP apple sauce, unsweetened
- ⅓ CUP pure maple syrup
- ¼ CUP avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ CUPS packed super fine blanched almond flour
- ¾ CUP certified GF oat flour*
- ½ CUP cocoa powder, i used Hershey's dark
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
~ ½ CUP vegan chocolate chips/chunks
- 8oz vegan chocolate chips or chopped baking chocolate
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla, or other flavoring, optional
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 mini bundt pans OR 1 standard bundt pan. Coat with cocoa powder for extra insurance, skip if using a silicone mold.
2. Place bananas, eggs, maple syrup, oil and vanilla in a blender, food processor, OR a mixer with paddle attachment. Mix/blend until banana has broken down and everything has been mixed together, about 3 minutes.
3. Place almond flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, whisking to combine. Add to wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Spoon or pipe mixture into pan(s) and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer/toothpick comes out with a little bit of melted chocolate, but not thick with batter. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool.
MAKE THE GANACHE:
Place chocolate chips in a glass or any heatproof bowl that is the right size to sit on the top of a small soup pot. Pour cream into soup pot, place bowl on top, and bring coconut milk to a rapid simmer, be careful to not overcook. The steam from the pot will help the chocolate temper to a warmer temperature, allowing it to melt quicker and more even. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate, submerging all of it. Let it sit for 5 minutes before stirring to combine the chocolate with the coconut milk, resulting in a gorgeously silky chocolate ganache sauce. Mix in salt. Allow to cool to desires consistency before using
FINISH THE CAKES
Drizzle each cake generously with ganache (or don't! they are just as delicious without any icing) and sprinkle with sprinkles if using. Enjoy!
*TO MAKE OAT FLOUR: If you don't have store bought, make your own by grinding old fashioned oats in the blender until it resembles a fine flour. Measure out AFTER grinding into flour.
TO STORE: In an air-tight container at room temperature up to four days, or in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. Store wrapped in foil and plastic (completely airtight) in the freezer for a couple months.
Adapted from original recipe: from https://www.hummusapien.com/almond-flour-chocolate-banana-bread/#tasty-recipes-41441-jump-target
Silicone mini bundt molds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GXJ6WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1